Thursday, August 4, 2011

Keeping it Natural

Why “Keeping it Natural”? I’ll admit, I was at first concerned that my blog’s title was a little vague and perhaps misleading (A Google search yields a bunch of recipes, hair products, etc.). So I’ll let you know up front; this blog is about natural horsemanship. For those of you unfamiliar with the term 'natural horsemanship', Pat Parelli (who coincidentally coined the term) sums up this different approach to horses quite nicely:

Horsemanship can be obtained NATURALLY through communication, understanding, and psychology; rather than through mechanics, fear, and intimidation.”

And for those of you who prefer a visual explanation, this video should do the trick:


My goal for this blog is to create an account of my journey through the Parelli Natural Horsemanship program, and the progress that I make as a horsewoman. Although I haven't ever had a horse of my own, I have been blessed with many opportunities to develop my savvy skills with "problem horses" over the years. Recently I’ve been fortunate enough to start my first horse, a 9 year old brood mare with no previous riding experience that was rescued from the Camelot auction in NJ. Her progress is truly a testimony to natural horsemanship (which I'm sure I'll be sharing more about in the near future :)

Aside from my aspirations with horses, I am currently pursuing a BA in psychology and animal science from the University of Connecticut. Not sure where I’m going with that, but I guess that’s what makes the journey fun, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment